Published in Photography News
by Kevin L. Kitchens on April 12, 2010 00:30
At the stroke of midnight, Adobe formally announced the latest edition of their Photoshop series, the all new CS5. It features internal HDR toning, content aware fill and something called puppet warp. For more details, read on.
SAN JOSE, Calif., — April 12, 2010 — Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced Adobe® Photoshop® CS5 and Photoshop CS5 Extended software, must-have releases of the professional industry standard for digital imaging. With millions of users celebrating the product’s 20th anniversary this year, Photoshop CS5 builds upon a rich history of innovation and leadership with groundbreaking features and performance gains that boost creativity and workflow efficiency. Packing in more technological advancements from Adobe Labs than any other release and incorporating enhancements to everyday tasks requested by the Photoshop community, the software has greater intelligence and awareness of the content within images, allowing for complex and magical manipulation in just a few clicks. Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended delivers everything in Photoshop CS5, as well as advanced tools for 3-D which address the unique needs of the video, Web, medical, manufacturing and engineering industries.
Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop CS5 Extended will be available as stand-alone applications or key components of the Adobe Creative Suite® 5 family (see separate releases).
“The past two decades have demonstrated an amazing interplay between customers who want to push the limits of their personal creativity and a passionate team of Adobe engineers who make those visions a reality,” said Kevin Connor, vice president of product management for professional digital imaging at Adobe. “We experienced this firsthand when we posted a ‘sneak peek’ video of the team’s work on the Content Aware Fill feature a few weeks ago. It quickly became the number one viral video online, with close to 2 million views and its ‘magic’ was one of the top trending Twitter topics of discussion. This version of Photoshop has some of the most innovative and extraordinary technologies to ever come from our labs and clearly customers are already clamoring for it.”
Redefining the Image-Editing Experience
Now a native 64-bit application on both Mac and Windows®, Photoshop CS5 delivers superior tools and creative control so users can perform advanced image manipulations and compositing with ease. Revolutionary image intelligence behind Content-Aware Fill magically removes any image detail or object, examines the surroundings and seamlessly fills in the space left behind. Lighting, tone and noise of the surrounding area match perfectly, looking as if the removed content never existed. New Refine Edge makes nearly-impossible image selections possible. This innovative technology precisely detects and masks the trickiest types of edges, such as hair and foliage, while eliminating background color contamination.
For photographers, Photoshop CS5 now offers next-generation high dynamic range (HDR) capabilities. When combining multiple exposures into a single HDR image, Photoshop CS5 preserves the full tonal range of a scene with unprecedented speed and accuracy. The new HDR Pro offers exceptional ghost artifact removal and greater tone mapping and adjustment control. With HDR toning, users can emulate the striking look of an HDR image with any single-exposure image.
Photoshop CS5 provides revolutionary tools that maximize users’ creative impact. Breakthrough painting capabilities include a Mixer Brush that blends an infinite combination of colors onto a single paintbrush tip, and Bristle Tips that offer lifelike brush strokes. Puppet Warp gives users the power to precisely reposition or warp any image element, such as straightening a bent arm in a photo or manipulating the landscape to generate a new perspective.
“Since its inception, Adobe Photoshop has been a key tool for pre-and post-production work in the motion picture industry,” said Jon Landau, Academy Award winning producer of Avatar and Titanic. “With Photoshop CS5 Extended, Adobe gives filmmakers new painting, HDR and 3-D tools that will help them push the limits of creativity. Faster performance with cross-platform 64-bit support and tight integration with other Adobe Creative Suite 5 software makes Photoshop CS5 an even more powerful tool in a filmmaker’s arsenal. Photoshop empowers filmmakers and creative professionals in virtually every other industry to turn their imagined ideas into onscreen reality.”
Community Involvement Drives Enhancements
In addition, more than 30 features and enhancements requested directly by the Photoshop community have been added to this release, including automatic image straightening, rule-of-thirds crop tool, color picker and the ability to save 16-bit images as JPEGs. The goal of this engineering effort was to address seemingly minor enhancements that directly impact everyday workflow, but aren’t always at the top of the development list for a new release. A new customizable Adobe Mini Bridge panel is also available directly in the software for faster file browsing and management.
Taking 3D and Motion to the Next Level
Photoshop CS5 Extended includes everything in Photoshop CS5 plus tools for editing 3D and motion-based content. With new Adobe Repoussé technology, users can easily create 3D logos and artwork from any text layer, shape or mask, as well as twist, rotate and extrude designs for different looks. To mirror the realism and appearance of 3D objects, a new materials library offers a breadth of rich options, including chrome, glass and cork. Users can also enhance the appearance of 3D objects by quickly creating shadows with the new shadow catcher. For motion content, tools including paint, text and clone can be used directly over multiple frames of a video sequence with ease using single-key shortcuts.
Adobe Photoshop Family
Building upon the 20-year history of Photoshop innovation and leadership, Adobe offers a line of Photoshop solutions for every level of user. Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop CS5 Extended software are at the heart of the Photoshop family, providing unrivaled power and editing freedom. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® addresses the workflow needs of serious, amateur and professional photographers, helping them find, manage, enhance and showcase images in powerful ways. Adobe Photoshop Elements software provides accessible tools and sharing options for photo enthusiasts. Snap-shooters can quickly and easily share and edit photos with simple gestures using the free Photoshop.com Mobile application on their iPhone or Android™ devices. Photoshop.com completes the Photoshop line providing an online photo sharing, editing and hosting resource for all.
Pricing and Availability
Adobe Photoshop CS5 and CS5 Extended are scheduled to ship within 30 days with availability through Adobe Authorized Resellers, the Adobe Store and Adobe Direct Sales. Estimated street price for Adobe Photoshop CS5 is US$699 and US$999 for Photoshop CS5 Extended. Upgrade pricing and volume licensing are available. For more detailed information about features, OS support, upgrade policies and pricing, please visit www.adobe.com/go/photoshop.
- Lightroom 3.4 & Camera Raw 6.4 Released (April 27, 2011 09:20) Photography News
- Photoshop CS5 12.0.2 Update Available (December 07, 2010 12:25) Photography News
- Lightroom 3.3 / Camera Raw 6.3 Released (December 07, 2010 12:22) Photography News
- Lightroom 3 Released (June 08, 2010 00:30) Photography News
- Zoner Photo Studio Free Edition Available (May 03, 2010 14:18) Photography News
- Good News from Imagenomic for CS5 Upgraders (May 01, 2010 00:14) Kitchens' Sink
- New Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill (March 30, 2010 00:27) Photography News
- Daily Photo Editing Webinars from Nik Software (January 06, 2010 12:36) Photography News
- Nik Releases Viveza 2 Plugin for Photoshop, Lightroom, and Aperture (January 06, 2010 10:01) Photography News
- Topaz ReMask 2 Released (November 24, 2009 12:26) Photography News
- Perfectly Clear Updated to 1.0.3 (November 24, 2009 12:07) Photography News
- Adobe Lightroom 3 BETA available (October 29, 2009 10:39) Photography News
- Camera Raw and Lightroom Updates from Adobe (September 15, 2009 08:55) Photography News
- Corel Sale on Photo Editing Software (July 27, 2009 08:03) Photography News
- Kelby Training Annual Subscription Offer (July 21, 2009 12:06) Photography News
- Photomatix Pro v3.2 Released By HDRSoft (July 14, 2009 13:23) Photography News
- Lightroom and Camera Raw Updated (June 24, 2009 11:25) Photography News
- Portrait Professional Studio 9 Released (June 02, 2009 14:04) Photography News
- ACDSee Pro 3 Public Beta Period Begins (May 27, 2009 10:21) Photography News
- DxO Optics Pro Passes 1,200 Optical Corrections (May 15, 2009 14:05) Photography News
- Lightroom/Camera Raw updates (March 03, 2009 08:21) Photography News
- Adobe Updates Photoshop CS4 (February 25, 2009 09:18) Photography News
- Corel Painter 11 Preview (February 24, 2009 13:41) Photography News
- Applying New Skills to Older Photos (January 09, 2009 10:57) Kitchens' Sink
- Dfx v2 Digital Filter Software Announced (December 16, 2008 15:26) Photography News
- Lightroom 2.2 Update (December 16, 2008 00:27) Photography News
- SALE: Alien Skin Software 20% Off (December 13, 2008 09:51) Photography News
- Portraiture 2 Released (December 10, 2008 12:35) Photography News
- Give your photos that Cartoon-look (December 09, 2008 10:31) Photography News
- DxO FilmPack v2 Released (December 02, 2008 09:44) Photography News
- Camera Raw and DNG Converter Updates (November 25, 2008 06:07) Photography News
- HDRSoft releases Photomatix Pro 3.1 Upgrade (November 14, 2008 17:44) Photography News
- Adobe offers free shipping and CS4 trial versions (November 14, 2008 17:37) Photography News
- "Knoll Light Factory" goes 64-bit (November 13, 2008 09:45) Photography News
- Thank You Michael Orton (January 18, 2007 16:35) Kitchens' Sink
- Annoying PSP Photo Bug (November 14, 2006 11:23) Kitchens' Sink
Page generated in 00.0005 seconds.